|Easy||2-3 people||20 minutes||Recipes – Mains|
Egg bhurji is Indian style spiced scrambled eggs popularly known as Anda bhurji. Egg bhurji is the easiest you can make anytime and takes just about 20 mins. Made with basic ingredients, this beginners’ recipe is sure to impress you with tons of flavor & deliciousness. It goes well with bread, pav or roti and is an excellent quick snack when you or the family are feeling puckish
After you have learnt the basics of this recipe you can add your own twist and favourite ingredients to it, dare you add some extra chopped green chillis with a twist of grated cheese on top and melt it on
• 2 to 3 eggs
• ¼ teaspoon salt (more to adjust)
• 2 tablespoons oil
• ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
• 1 large onion finely chopped
• 1 green chili slit or chopped
• ¾ to 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (or ½ inch ginger & 2 garlic cloves minced finely)
• ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala or pav bhaji masala (adjust to taste)
• ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
• ⅛ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
• 2 tablespoons coriander leaves or 1 sprig curry leaves or 8 mint leaves
• 1 small tomato chopped finely (optional)
• ¼ cup bell pepper (capsicum) (optional)
Preparation (5 minutes)
• Chop onions & tomatoes finely. Slit green chilli & cube bell peppers (optional).
• Rinse a bowl and break the eggs to the bowl. This way egg doesn’t stick to the bowl.
• Check for shells. Add salt and turmeric. Beat the eggs until frothy & Set aside (Add a drop of milk to increase fluffiness).
Cooking (15 minutes)
• Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin & curry leaves (optional).
• When they begin to splutters add onions, chilies and fry until golden.
• Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a nice aroma.
• If using tomatoes, add them to the pan. Fry until they turn soft and oil begins to separate.
• If using bell peppers, add them now and fry till they are partially soft for 2 to 3 minutes.
• You can also add garam masala and red chilli powder at this stage.
• Fry until the masala smells good. I prefer to add the spice powders later after cooking the eggs.
• Pour the eggs and scramble lightly. Keep cooking, stirring and scramble once more.
• When the eggs are almost cooked, add garam masala powder & red chili powder. Stir well & fry just for a minute or two.
• Taste test and add more salt and red chilli powder if needed.
• When the eggs are fully cooked, turn off the stove.
• Garnish egg bhurji with coriander. You can also squeeze little lemon juice.
• Serve egg bhurji with rice or bread/ pav or chapathi.
1. If you prefer to use chopped tomatoes, Fry tomatoes till they turn mushy and then oil begins to separate, otherwise it will leave the egg bhurji with a raw smell of eggs.
2. You can skip garam masala or use only coriander and cumin powder or pav bhaji masala too.